Saturday, June 7, 2008

Adobong Manok

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

I haven't tried cooking adobo yet, although they say it's one of the easiest Pinoy ulam that one can make. What I do is buy adobo from Kusina Filipina, and "modify" it at home to suit my preference. See, I do not like my adobo to be saucy and malabnaw. I want as less sauce as possible. So I re-cook the adobo in any normal pan, and just let the chicken absorb the sauce. This way, the adobo gets soaked within and becomes more flavorful.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

I add soy sauce and more vinegar to get the "malansa" taste out of the meat. The longer I reheat the adobo, the meat becomes softer and is torn up into small pieces, and soak in with more flavor.

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

That's the thing I love about adobo. You can store in the fridge for days (or weeks?) and it just gets more delicious the longer you keep it and the more you reheat it. Ideal for someone like me who neither has the ability nor the time to cook =)

Recipe for Adobo (according to my mom)

onion
garlic
pepper
soy sauce
vinegar
laurel leaves
chicken or pork

Combine all ingredients and marinate in low heat for 30-45 minutes. When meat becomes tender, separate from the sauce (do not discard the sauce) and fry in a separate pan. After frying, pour the sauce again and let simmer until sauce dries up.

Kusina Filipina
3201 Beacon Ave S
Seattle, WA
206-322-9433

No comments: